CHICKPEA CHANA MASALA
Creamy, aromatic chickpea chana masala served with fluffy basmati rice and topped with coriander, green chilli's and almond yoghurt. All made in one pot, easy and simple to make, yet packed full of flavour and super nutritious!
- 1 yellow onion, chopped finely
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 1 small green chilli, deseeded and cut finely
- 1 inch fresh ginger, skin removed and minced
- 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin Powder
- 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Corriander Powder
- 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 X 400g Tin's Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g Tin Chopped Tomato
- 2 Teaspoon Cashew Butter
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
To serve; rice, fresh coriander & plant based yoghurt!
- If serving with rice, cook rice according to packaging instructions.
- Begin by placing chopped onion, minced garlic, cut chilli and minced ginger into large sauce pan. Place on high heat with a few dashes of water, to ensure mixture doesn't stick to bottom of pan and burn. Cook for 2-3 minutes on high, stirring continuously and adding small splashes of water when needed.
- Add cumin, coriander, garam masala and turmeric to pan and give a good mix so that all the mixture is coated in spices and creates a paste like texture. Reduce to medium heat and cook for 3-5 minutes, again adding small amounts of water when needed to make sure mixture doesn't stick to bottom of pan.
- Add tinned tomatoes to pan and turn heat back up to high, and give a good mix.
- Add chickpeas to pan and combined mixture thoroughly, bring to a slight boil and then reduce heat down to low. Allow mixture to gently simmer for 15 minutes, or even longer if you have the time. The longer you allow the chana masala to simmer the better!
- Just before you serve the chana masala, add cashew butter and salt and pepper to taste.